Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Beloved, Neglected Metropolitan

I have loved Nash Metropolitans since I was a kid. They were cute, kid-sized cars that were zipping around my neighborhood in M&M colors. Our family had a Nash Ambassador sedan as a family car so I'm sure I saw them in the dealership while it was being serviced, and said, out loud, "That's my size car!"

I always wanted one, and my 1956 green and white coupe, which I found on Craigslist, looked nice when I found it. But it turned out to have serious wiring issues, so it didn't get driven a lot. It's neither safe nor legal to drive without brake lights and turn signals. So it has spent most of the last several years in my garage.

When I was about 10, I wrote a song:

It's the cutest car in the world,
In the world, in the world.
It's the cutest car in the world,
In the world, in the world.
A teeny, teeny Metropolitan
The cutest little car in the world.
A teeny teeny Metropolitan,
The cutest little cutest little car in the world!
It's the cutest car in the world,
In the world, in the world.

Not bad for 10, huh?

I hate to do it, but I need to find my little car a new home. I wanted to make it nice and drive it around, but I have learned two things. First: Little cars that are not sports cars that are 50 years old are not really much fun to drive. Fun to be seen in, to look at, to spot in traffic, but that's about it. Second: I don't like working on cars.

So, if anyone wants to finish putting in the new wiring harness, my little baby could be an easy and rewarding project. And the rest of it is pretty sound.


No comments: