Saturday, April 9, 2011

She's Got Style, She's Got Flair

Today, I came into my bedroom where my wife was watching The Nanny. The brilliant sit-com, which ran from 1993 to 1999, starred Fran Drescher as the nanny to the three children of Mr. Sheffield, a wealthy widower and theater producer. With a uniformly excellent ensemble cast, it was funny from the start and never faded.

The shows are being shown, in order, on TV Land. As it turns out, today they were running the final episode--followed by the pilot. What a shock to see the end before the beginning. I find that when The Nanny is on I inevitably end up sitting and watching. With TV Land's generous programming, that can consume an entire Saturday afternoon if you're not careful.

With Fran's brilliant comic timing, the blend of social class mismatches and Jewish/Gentile cultural mixing, the show is a treasure, and will likely live on forever, much like I Love Lucy from the 1950's.


No comments: