Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Car a Week x 52 x 19 = LOTS of Cars

Besides blogging daily, I write a weekly automotive column. I've been producing these since my first one on February 8, 1992. Yes, that means more than 19 years.

To the left is a photo taken today of me with my latest ride: the 2011 Dodge Charger. Look below and you'll see me with my first test car: a 1992 Honda Prelude. Believe it or not, I have a photo of myself with every car I've ever tested for the entire 19 years.

These cars come from a manufacturer test fleet--specially set up for journalists to use. Since March of 1992 I've known about this wonderful source of test vehicles. At first, though, I borrowed cars for a few minutes from local dealers and tested them on my own short "test route." Now, I get a week at a time. By the time there's dust on the dashboard I'm ready for a new one.

What does this mean for my consciousness, you may wonder? Well, it's always interesting to drive someplace--just to test the navigation system or the brakes or the power seats or the acceleration. How well does a bass fit in? How do my rear passengers like the legroom? And what kind of fuel economy am I really getting?

It's a great life, but it's not by any means a living. It's just for my own enjoyment and, I hope the pleasure and use of my readers (hope there are lots).


No comments: