Saturday, February 12, 2011

Splendid, Ethereal Owl City

The first time I heard Fireflies by Owl City the little hairs on my arms stood up and I felt a chill down my back. This is the sound of hit songs from the pop era of the 1960's blended with the high-tech electronics of today.

Adam Young is Owl City, but you'd think there was a band with him. I visualize one very talented young man with a personal recording studio and an arsenal of instruments.

Watch the video linked above. Besides hearing the transcendent song you'll witness a visual presentation worthy of Peewee's Playhouse. This is one very talented young man--he looks like a high school student--but oh my can he put out sound.

I found a CD, Maybe I'm Dreaming, in Barnes & Noble for $9.99 and since bringing it home, have played it over and over like I did with new Beatles albums. There's something infectious about the crisp, clear, shimmering sound that comes out of this music.

Visit the official website and enjoy some for yourself. Listen to Peppermint Winter. Wait until he hits "warm." Wow...

No comments: