Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Moody Blues Remain

Forty-four years after the release of Days of Future Past, the Moody Blues--well, three of them--are still touring the world. Known especially for their great series of albums in the 1960s, 70s and even into the 80s, the band explored spiritual and romantic themes with plenty of dramatic background.

The aforementioned iconic album was recorded with a symphony orchestra, but afterwards they still got that sound of sailing through the universe thanks to the Mellotron (artificial orchestra) and the Chamberlain after.

Through the years they've diminished to three old gray guys--Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge--they're still out there--as perennial as the planets and stars that were part of their early songs.

I remember the Moody Blues from my youth and spent a lot of time listening to their early albums when I was in college. They seemed so cool--perfect hair, great music, psychedelic and "meaningful." Nights in White Satin was everywhere--and even got re-released in the early 1970s--a double hit.

I think of the Moodies today because I heard a song that reminded me of them yesterday when my iPod pulled up the song Ghost, from the album Ghost, by the Devin Townsend Project. Six and a half minutes of that choral background with mellow keyboard was relaxing--but I know the project's secret. They can turn 180 degrees and sound like heavy metal, too. More on that fascinating band later.

No comments: